Sunday, October 6, 2013

Run for the Cure

I ran in my second organized 5K run today.


The Run for the Cure had over 5000 people in Halifax, so it was a very different feel from my first race.  It's also the first race I've done on city streets.   I didn't realize how hard it would be to just get through the starting line.


There were a few more hills than I'm used to, and I did have to walk a couple of times.  So I was very excited when I got home to see my uploaded MapMyRun data to find out that I had my best pace of 7:14 minutes/KM.  My best time before this was 8:35.   A friend who is a runner says that he always has better time on races then just training.  The excitement of people cheering you on, running in a pack and today there were even marching bands at strategic locations, gives you the boost to push yourself harder. It's so true.  At one point I was tiring out and thinking about walking when I passed a group of volunteers who started whooping and hollering and telling me what a great job I was doing.  Of course I couldn't start walking then!

I'm so glad that I signed up for this.  Not only is it a great cause, it was a great run too!

No comments:

Post a Comment