There are two things that I do for exercise that I plan to keep working on in 2015 – TaeKwon-Do and running.
My TaeKwon-Do goals are simple: Test for my Blue stripe in January and test for my Blue belt in the fall. I need to commit to attending classes more regularly for this to happen. I had a few months in 2014 where I only made it to a single class. I’m never going to learn my patterns and improve my techniques at that rate.
My plan for running is to get out at least 3 times a week and slowly increase my distance. I'm less concerned about my speed, though of course I would love to be faster.
The one thing that keeps me motivated to run is having a planned race to train for. Right now I have at least 7 races that I want to participate in for 2015.
2015 Race List
- NS Lung Run May 2 – I really liked this race last year – It’s run along the boardwalk and through the container terminal. And it’s nice and flat.
- Recharge with Milk ½ Marathon May 17 – MAYBE.... I haven’t decided yet if I can train enough to run my first ½ marathon by May. The idea that I’m even considering this freaks me out.
- Ocean Breeze June 20 – I’m planning to do the 10k again this year. Hopefully it won’t be in a torrential downpour!
- MacPass Mile Aug 02 – New to me for 2015. This involve running across the Macdonald Bridge from Halifax to Dartmouth. It’s got a pretty wicked up slope, followed by the same down slope once you pass the middle of the bridge
- Natal Day Road Race August 03 – This is a great 2 mile race through Dartmouth. 2015 will be the 110th year this race has run.
- CIBC Run for the Cure Oct 4 – 2015 will my third year running this 5k race through downtown Halifax. This is also the only run that I actively fundraise for.
- Runway Run (was in October last year) – I hope they have this race again for 2015. Running on the airport runway was a lot of fun.
- All the Shrinking Jeans Virtual runs (usually about 3 a year) – I like the virtual races because they help to keep me training for something between other races.
I will hopefully pick up a few more races along the way as well.
Most notably for 2015, I don't have a weight goal. Do I want to lose weight? Of course! But I am not setting a specific goal of how many pounds I want to lose, or what my goal weight for the end of the year would be. Instead, I'm going to focus on being healthy and exercising. If I do those 2 things, the weight loss will follow.