I come up with all sorts of reasons for why I can't do something:
- I don't have shoes
- I don't have pants to run in
- It's too cold out
- It's too icy
- I need to lose more weight before I start to run
- I have the wrong music on my Ipod
Then I have what I consider the self sabotaging thoughts.
- I'll skip working out today and do it twice tomorrow
- I've already gone over on my calories so I may as well eat this cookie
- I don't have time to exercise
- I have more important things to do right now
None of the things I have listed can't be overcome.
- I do have a pair of shoes. They might be old but they will do to get me started.
- I have yoga pants, I just need to tuck the wide legs into socks so I don't trip on them.
- I can wear a sweater and a hat and gloves. Once I get moving I doubt I'll be cold.
- The ice is now mostly gone and the side walks are clear.
- If I start running I will probably lose more weight.
- And really, that last one? LAME.
Sabotaging thoughts are a lot harder to overcome. I need to focus each and every moment on what my ultimate goal is: getting healthy. Every time I'm faced with an option that is not going to help me along that path I need to stop and make the better choice. I will stop self sabotaging my progress.