Monday, January 6, 2014

5 benefits of Tae Kwon Do

I have been studying TKD for almost 2 years now. No one is more surprised than I am at how much I enjoy it.

Here are the top 5 benefits that I have derived from studying a martial art.

Flexibility and Coordination
  • 2 years ago if you had asked me to kick higher then my waist I would have laughed at you. Now, not only can I get my leg up that high to kick, I can do it with enough force to break a board. 
  • I have learned 5 patterns so far, with the highest level one having 21 movements. When I started I could never get my lefts and my rights sorted out for the simplest pattern. Now I have the coordination to move somewhat gracefully through 21 distinct (and complicated) movements. 

Cardio workout
  • An hour of TKD burns nearly 1000 calories! 
  • We warm up each class by running laps around the gym. 2 years ago I couldn't do 2 laps without having to take a break and walk. Now I can easily do 10 and could keep going.

Self Defense
  • I never would have thought that I was capable of throwing a punch at someone’s head before. Now I know that I can! It’s an odd feeling to actually hit another person, but once you get over the initial strangeness you soon recognize the power that you have. I truly believe that if I was ever in a situation where I needed to use self defense, my TKD training would be second nature now and I would be able to defend myself. 
  • We spend at least one class a month focusing on self defense overall, not just TKD. I know how to escape a chock hold, get out of someone’s grip and am okay with yelling and screaming like a fool to attract attention. In our society we always seem to feel the need to be quiet and polite, to not make a fuss. Practicing situations where it’s okay to fight back and make a fuss is very freeing. 

 4. Confidence
  • I wear white pants and a white t-shirt and drag my butt along the gym floor while we do a “Crab-Walk” warm up. I don’t have the arm strength to get my butt up off the floor, but I keep going. In a class full of kids (who could crab-walk all day long and never get tired) while all their parents watch and laugh. 
  • I can stand alone in the gym, in front of my instructors, while a room full of people watch and do all of my patterns during a test for my next level.  In high school I couldn't stand up in class to ask to go to the washroom. 

Stress Relief
  • Any physical activity works well as stress relief. Add in punching and kicking things with all your might and you can work out the kinks of a bad day in no time.
  • TKD has turned out to be a great parenting tool as well.  Since Liam and I both train together, we both have sparring gear.  That means that anytime we are having a rough day with each other, I can just say "go get your gear on" and we can duke it out.  All in the name of sport, so there is no need to call Children's Aid!

No comments:

Post a Comment