Friday, January 17, 2014

Support

Getting support from people is so important on this journey. I'm lucky that I have the love and support of my partner and many friends. Beyond them though, I have found support from what I refer to as "the people who live in my computer".

I've been active online for more than a decade and have forged some great friendships with people that I've never met in person. They have been there for me through all the major (and minor) ups and downs of my life. While our friendship may have started on adoption forums, they  have grown such that adoption is no longer the main focus, but just like IRL friendships, we talk about all aspects of our lives. Now that my focus is on health and wellness, they are supporting me through that as well. It can be comments here on the blog or on Facebook, “likes” on posts or private messages cheering me on. We also connect on other health sites like MyFitnessPal or FitBit. Every comment and nudge brightens my day and makes me feel empowered to keep going when I might feel like I’m at the end of my rope for the day.

I’ve also recently joined a private support group on Facebook for a 6 week “accountability” group. We are a group of strangers who come together every day to support, encourage and help each other on whatever our current journey is.  They are a great group of women and I hope that after the 6 weeks is over that we continue to stay in touch and be there for each other.

Who do you get your support from?

No comments:

Post a Comment